J. Stuart Melvin,Md
Dr. Melvin is a board- certified, fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in hip and knee replacement with specific training in anterior approach total hip replacement, custom partial and total knee replacement as well as revision hip and knee replacement. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, as well as an active member of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association. His numerous scientific papers have been featured in the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, Journal of Arthroplasty, and Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. Additionally, Dr. Melvin has authored chapters in orthopaedic textbooks on topics ranging from hip and knee pathology to upper extremity fractures.
Dr. Melvin earned both his Bachelor of Science and his medical degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with highest distinction. As an undergraduate, he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. In medical school, he belonged to the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society. Dr. Melvin went on to complete an internship and residency at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and returned to North Carolina for fellowship training in both orthopedic trauma at Carolinas Medical Center as well as hip and knee replacement at the world renowned OrthoCarolina Hip and Knee Center.
With a background that includes both joint replacement and orthopedic trauma, Dr. Melvin brings a unique perspective to his practice at Washington Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine. He was born and raised in North Carolina and knew from an early age that medicine would be his career. His strong interest in science and math led him to medical school where he rotated through all the specialties, but kept coming back to orthopedics.
Dr. Melvin enjoys the hands-on nature of orthopedic surgery and the tangible results he sees in his patients every day. Easing their pain, restoring their function and quality of life are the best parts of the job. He also greatly values the personal relationships he forms with his patients, getting to know them as individuals and guiding them on the road to recovery.
Outside of work, he enjoys spending time with his family and playing tennis. During the college basketball season, you’ll find him rooting for his beloved North Carolina Tar Heels.
JAAOS Unplugged Outpatient Arthoplasty Podcast Featuring Dr. Melvin
- 2001 B.S.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Biology)
- 2005 M.D.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
Intern in General Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
Resident in Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
Fellow in Orthopaedic Trauma, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina
Fellow in Hip and Knee Reconstruction, OrthoCarolina Charlotte, North Carolina
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Scully R, Kappa J, Melvin JS. “Outpatient” Same-calendar-day Discharge Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. J Am Academy Orthop Surg. 2020
- Smith E, Lee D, Masonis J, Melvin JS. Lateral Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty.* J Bone J Surg Rev*. 2020 ;8:e0044.
- Melvin JS, Dahners LE. Correction of Equinus Contracture with a Wire Fixator Using Elastic Tension. J Ortho Trauma 2006;20:138-42.
- King JJ, Melvin JS, Iwenofu OH, Fox EJ. Thigh Pain in a 53-year-Old Woman. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 267:1652-7.
- Melvin JS, MacKenzie JD, Nacke E, Sennett BJ, Wells L. Magnetic Resonance Imaging and the HAGL Lesion: Four arthroscopically confirmed cases of false positive MRI Am J Roentgenol. 2008;191(3):730-4.
- Melvin JS, Downing K, Ogilvie CM. A technique for removal of broken cannulated tri-cortical syndesmotic screws. J Ortho Trauma 2008;22:648-51.
- Melvin JS, Kim P, Schuster J, Mehta S. Use of the Licox Ò in a head-injured patient with a tibial shaft fracture: A novel method of assessing the effect of reamed intramedullary nailing on brain tissue oxygenation. Injury Extra 2009;40:1-3.
- Melvin JS, Mackenzie JD, Sennett BJ, Wells L. Letter to the editor reply re: Resonance Imaging and the HAGL Lesion: Four arthroscopically confirmed cases of false positive MRI Am J Roentgenol 2009;193:W76.
- Melvin JS, Dombroski D, Torbert J, Kovach SJ, Esterhai JL, Mehta S. Open Tibial Shaft Fractures Part I: Evaluation and Initial Wound Managment J Am Academy Orthop Surg 2010;18:10-19.
- Melvin JS, Dombroski D, Torbert J, Kovach SJ, Esterhai JL, Mehta S. Open Tibial Shaft Fractures Part II: Definitive Management and Limb Salvage J Am Academy Orthop Surg 2010;18:108-17.
- Melvin JS, Matuszewski PE, Scolaro J, Baldwin K, Mehta S. The role of Computed Tomography in the Diagnosis and Management of Femoral Neck Fractures in the Geriatric Patient. Orthopaedics 2011; 34:87.
- Melvin JS, Mehta S. Patella Fractures in Adults. J Am Academy Orthop Surg 2011;19:198-207.
- Melvin JS, Smith JL, Sims SH, Patt JC. Use of an interference fit retrograde nail as an adjunct to plate fixation of a complex Vancouver B1 periprosthetic femoral fracture. Injury. 2012;43:1779-82.
- Melvin JS. Comment on article "Cement-in-Cement Revision for Selected Vancouver Type B1 Femoral Periprosthetic Fractures: A Biomechanical Analysis. J Arthroplasty. 2013;28:1446.
- Melvin JS, Pulos N, Baldwin K, Mirza A, Gardner M, Mehta S. An analysis of the demographic and technical characteristics associated with iliac cortical perforation during insertion of iliosacral screws. Univ Penn Ortho J. 2014;24:21-22.
- Melvin JS, Karthikeyan T, Cope R, Odum S, Fehring TK. Early Failure in Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Changing Paradigm. J Arthroplasty. 2014;29:1285-8.
- Mudrick C, Melvin JS, Springer BD. Late posterior hip instability after lumbar spinopelvic fusion: A case report. Arthroplasty Today. 2015; 1:25-29.
- Melvin JS, Stryker LS, Sierra RJ. Tranexamic Acid in Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. J Am Academy Orthop Surg. 2015; 23:732-40.
- Melvin JS, Stryker LS, Sierra RJ. Letter to the Editor Reply – Tranexamic Acid in Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. J Am Academy Orthop Surg. 2016; 24:e59
- Collinge CA, Hymes R, Archdeacon M, Streubel P, Obremskey W, Weber T, Watson JT, Lowenberg D; Members of the Proximal Femur Working Group of the Southeast Trauma Consortium (Melvin JS). Unstable Proximal Femur Fractures Treated With Proximal Femoral Locking Plates: A Retrospective, Multicenter Study of 111 Cases. J Orthop Trauma. 2016; 30:489-95.
- Smith E, Ibraham G, Scully RD, Siram G, Unger A, Melvin JS. Intraoperative Fluoroscopy Improves Recreation of Femoral offset but not Leg Lengths during Direct Anterior Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Orthop Surg Tech. 2020;3:115-119.
- Melvin JS Heppenstall RB: Hip Fractures, in Sheth, N.P., Lonner, J.L, (Ed), Gowned and Gloved Orthopaedics: Introduction to Common Procedures, ed 1. Philadelphia, PA: Saunder, Elsevier. 2009. pp 196-214.
- Melvin JS, Boselli K, Huffman GR. Humerus and Elbow Fractures. In Pignolo RJ, Keenan MA, Hebela NM (Ed), Fractures in the Elderly: A Guide to Practical Management. Philadelphia, PA: Humana Press. 2010. pp 187-224.
- Sheth NP, Melvin JS, Nelson CL, Heppenstall RB. The Hip. In Wiesel B, Sankar WN, Delahay J, Wiesel SW (Ed), Orthopaedic Surgery: Principles of Diagnosis and Treatment, Philadelphia, PA: Lippencott, Williams & Wilkens. 2011. pp. 653-696.
- Melvin JS, Karunakar MA. Patella Fractures and Extensor Mechanism Injuries. In Bucholz RW, Heckman JD, Court-Brown CM and Tornetta P (Ed), Rockwood and Green’s Fractures in Adults (Eight Edition), Philadelphia, PA: Lippencott, Williams & Wilkens. 2015; 2269-2302
- Melvin JS Tibial Shaft Fractures. In Boughanem J and Shah RR, Pocket Orthopaedic Surgery, Lippencott, Williams & Wilkens. 2015; 1-43 to 1-45.
- Melvin JS. Proximal Femur Fracture. Orthopaedics Pocket guide. In Boughanem J and Shah RR, Pocket Orthopaedic Surgery, Lippencott, Williams & Wilkens. 2015; Section 1-34 to 1-37.
- Atul F. Kamath, Abhishek S. Chitnis, Chantal Holy, Jason Lerner, Brian Curtin, Steve Lochow, Charles DeCook & Joel M. Matta: Medical resource utilization and costs for total hip arthroplasty: benchmarking an anterior approach technique in the Medicare population, Oct 2017
- Melvin JS, Mackenzie JD, Wells L, Sennett BJ. Magnetic Resonance Imaging and the HAGL Lesion: Four arthroscopically confirmed cases of false positive MRI diagnosis. Poster Presentation at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery 75th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, March 5-9, 2008.
- Melvin JS, Scolaro J, Mehta S. An evaluation of the effect of computed tomography on the Garden Classification and treatment plan for femoral neck fractures in the elderly. Podium Presentation at The University of Pennsylvania Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Research Day, Philadelphia, PA, June 3, 2010
- Hymes R, Melvin JS. Locked Plating of Proximal Femur Fractures: Outcomes and Predictors of Failure. Podium Presentation at Carolinas Medical Center Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Research Day, Charlotte, NC, June 10, 2011
- Melvin JS, Pulos N, Baldwin K, Mirza A, Gardner M, Mehta S. An analysis of the demographic and technical characteristics associated with iliac cortical perforation during insertion of iliosacral screws. Podium Presentation at the Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX October 14, 2011
- Melvin JS, Karthikeyan T, Cope R, Odum S, Fehring TK. Early Failure in Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Changing Paradigm. Poster Presentation at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery Annual Meeting 2013.
- Melvin JS, Cope R, Fehring TK. The role of hip aspiration in the diagnosis of total hip arhtroplasty infection in metal on metal bearings. Poster Presentation at the American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting 2013.
- Melvin JS, Cope R, Fehring TK. The role of hip aspiration in the diagnosis of total hip arhtroplasty infection in metal on metal bearings. Poster Presentation at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting 2014.
- 2013 - Present
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
North Carolina High School State Doubles Tennis Champion
Valedictorian, Graham High School, Graham, North Carolina
1st Team Academic All State, Basketball, North Carolina
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Honors Program
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, James Copland Scholar
Phi Beta Kappa
BS with Highest Distinction, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Alpha Omega Alpha, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
MD with Distinction, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
OrthoCarolina Catalyst Award
Washingtonian Top Doctors
Top Doctor 2020 by Northern Virginia Magazine
Top Doctor 2020 by Washingtonian
- (Active Fellow 2014-present)
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- (Active Member 2015-present)
Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- (Active Fellow 2013-Present)
American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- (Resident Member, 2005-2010)
Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society
- 2011 - present
Active member - Review Panel for Orthopedics
- 2012 - present
Reviewer – Journal of Arthroplasty